How To: Thank You Notes
Whether it’s your bridal shower, baby shower or wedding, you’ve got to make sure you properly acknowledge and thank those that went out of their way to make sure you were showered with gifts! Thank you notes are a great way to show your appreciation for the thought and care someone took in selecting and gifting you something you will use or need in the future. We’ve come up with a simple and easy way of how to write thank you notes, and make sure you have proper etiquette while doing so!
Make sure to get your thank you notes out as soon as possible after receiving your gift. Nowadays, gifts can be mailed prior to the event date, and you don’t want to leave givers wondering if you ever received their package. Best rule of thumb, send out a thank you within 5 days.
A helpful tip when unwrapping or receiving gifts at a shower or party is to keep the card attached to the gift and write on the backside what was given to you so that you can properly note this in your thank you note. With a shower, things can move really fast, so if you have a family member who can help with this, that would be ideal!
Onto writing the note! Here are the bulletpoints you don’t want to miss!
- Your thank you note should address everyone who gave you the gift. Often times, larger families will pool together to get a larger gift. If there are family members that live in different homes, it is a nice touch to send a note to each residence.
- Thank the person(s) for their thoughtful gesture. You might also thank them for coming to be at the event, and how much fun you had with them.
- Specifically thank them for the gift, and write out what the gift was… whether it be a coffee maker, handmade item or giftcard.
- Be sure to let the person(s) know how you plan to use the gift, or why this was such a special gift. People love knowing you will get great use of the gift they provided!
- Wrap up with how excited you are for the wedding, baby to come, etc.
Below is an example of a thank you note:
Dear Martha, John, Maverick and Katie,
It was so great having you at the wedding, we had so much fun with you all! Thank you so much for the handmade, custom sign! Rick and I can’t wait to hang this in our new home… that was so incredibly thoughtful and it will go so nicely with the style we have chosen for our home.
It was so important to have the people who have influenced our lives the most be present on the wedding day, and we were so grateful your family was able to be there to celebrate with us!
Thank you again, and we can’t wait to come see you in San Diego in the Fall!
Jennie + Rick
Hopefully this article on How To Write Thank You Notes helps you in getting those thank you notes out! If you have any other suggestions or feedback for this article, we’d love to hear!